Friday, July 18, 2014

Slow Fashion

   There is a Slow Fashion movement, just as there is a Slow Food movement.  It is attempting to get us to take greater care about the selection of our clothing by asking us to be informed about the source point of our clothes, and the method of their manufacture.  Also it is asking us to re-think how we dress so that our impact environmentally is lessened significantly.
    I am myself as guilty as the next person of having what is in truth a far larger wardrobe than is strictly needful. So I find myself be far more careful now of how I get my new clothes, and from whom.
    The reason I'm bringing this up is that on Wednesday I attending a first time collection presentation by new SF designer Jeff Oakes. He has a shop at 1317 Grant Avenue that is just a year old now, where he sells textiles, clothing, home furnishings and jewelry.  Jeff is a strong proponent of the Slow Fashion idea and has made it his personal mission to seek out, and appropriately foster cottage businesses the world over to bring their unique and hand made textiles to the attention and use of people here.  I will insert an apology here about the images I'm sharing.  The lighting was a bit less than optimal, and I was shooting with my iPhone.  lol
    The evening as a fun, and informative one, and the presentation was unlike any fashion show I have ever attended.  Jeff took active part in it, chatting with the attendees about the ideas and intent of his design work.
    A troupe of Indian dancers entertained us, after a short video that showcased the primary source of his textiles in India.  Then we got treated to a sampling of some of the fabrics he has found, or had created, as models brought goods by for us to see.
    The next section showed accessory items that the models had chosen themselves, to pair with their own clothing, which I though was an innovative and really terrific idea. Potential customers could see in real terms how things would work for them.  A great notion.

    The final section was dresses, pants, tops and evening wear, all of which were designed for comfort and easy usability.  Pockets, ladies.  Everything has pockets.
    His design aesthetic is not meant to be edgy, but rather to supply women with easily wearable and comfortable clothing that is adaptable, and practical.  In those senses he succeeds admirably.

    I was also delighted to see that his models were by no means standard issue.  These were real women, of diverse background and age.  Its long overdue.  How can a client envision something on themselves when the model bears no relation whatever to them?
   And finally, when I got to chat with Jeff, I found a kindred spirit with regard to the deeper meanings and purposes of Attire. I look forward to the opportunity to foster that connection.  I suspect we will end up talking, a lot.

So stop by his shop when you've the time, or go to jeffoakesdesign.com.  Tell him I sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment